Pavarotti set for release from hospital
EmptyROME -- Luciano Pavarotti, who was admitted to the hospital last week with a fever, is expected to be released "imminently" and is in high spirits and ready to resume recording a new album, his spokeswoman said Tuesday.
Doctors have given the tenor the go-ahead to leave the Modena hospital where he has been undergoing tests since last Wednesday, manager Terri Robson said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.
The 71-year-old, who underwent surgery for pancreatic cancer last year, was hospitalized in his hometown after a routine examination revealed a high temperature, Robson said.
"He will be leaving hospital imminently," Robson said. "He is looking forward to getting back to teaching his young singing pupils as soon as he is out of hospital and next month plans to get back into his Modena recording studio to resume work on his new album of sacred songs."
Robson, who visited Pavarotti on Monday, said he was in "wonderfully high spirits" when she saw him.
Pavarotti underwent surgery for pancreatic cancer in July 2006 in a New York hospital. Pancreatic cancer is one of the most dangerous forms of the disease, though doctors said the surgery offered improved hopes for survival.
At the time of the operation, Pavarotti had been preparing to resume his farewell tour. He has made no public appearances since then. Robson has said he has been busy teaching and working on a recording of sacred music.