Ex-Penn State Coach Jerry Sandusky Breaks Silence on Sex Scandal to NBC's Bob Costas: 'I Shouldn't Have Showered With Those Kids' (Video)
The university's former defensive coordinator insists he is "innocent" of all charges he sexually abused children but admits that he "horsed around with kids" and "touched their leg."
Former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky, who has been charged with 40 counts of sexual abuse against children, has broken his silence about the sex scandal that resulted in the ouster of head football coach Joe Paterno and three other university officials.
Sandusky -- who has been charged by the state of Pennsylvania with the sexual assaults or advances on eight boys from 1994-2009, during which time he served as Penn State defensive coordinator and head of the Second Mile charity, helping at-risk youth -- gave an exclusive interview to NBC's Bob Costas that's set to air at 10 p.m. Monday on Rock Center With Brian Williams. During the interview, Sandusky insists that he is "innocent of those charges."
When pressed by Costas if he was "completely innocent and falsely accused in every aspect," Sandusky replied: "Well I could say that, you know, I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their leg. Without intent of sexual contact."
Sandusky insisted that he is not a pedophile but admitted that there are some actions he regrets.
"I shouldn't have showered with those kids," he said.
Two other Penn State employees, athletic director Timothy Curley and Gary Schultz, a senior vp who oversaw the university police department, were arraigned last week on charges that they knew about the alleged crimes but did not report them. Schultz has since stepped down, while Curley was placed on administrative leave to focus on his defense.
Meanwhile, Second Mile CEO Jack Raykovitz also has been ousted from his position.
Sandusky, 67, is free on a $100,000 bond.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead