'Percy Jackson' Opens at No. 4 in Japan; '2 Guns' Fails to Crack Top 10
In a disappointing weekend for Hollywood in Japan, Jackie Robinson biopic "42" bows at number 10, while "Jobs" with Ashton Kutcher debuts in 12th.
TOKYO – Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters bowed at number four, pulling in $1.2 million (117 million yen) from 629 screens on Saturday and Sunday, in an uninspiring weekend for Hollywood at the Japanese box office.
The first part of local supernatural police drama SPEC – Close (Gekijouban SPEC Close Zen no Hen) opened at number one, taking in $4.66 million from only 290 screens. The second part of the film, the latest in big screen spinoffs from TBS (Tokyo Broadcasting System) TV dramas, will be released at the end of this month.GALLERY: '42' L.A. Premiere: Hollywood Celebrates the Legend of Jackie Robinson
Opening at number 10 was 42, starring Chadwick Boseman as barrier-breaking baseball legend Jackie Robinson and Harrison Ford as Brooklyn Dodgers manager Branch Rickey.
Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg-starrer 2 Guns continued its poor worldwide box office run for Sony with a bow at number 11. Joshua Michael Stern's Jobs, starring Ashton Kutcher as the late founder of Apple, also failed to crack the top 10, opening at number 12.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)