Pernilla August's 'Beyond' Starring 'Millennium' Actress Noomi Rapace Is Sweden's Oscar Hope
Rapace plays the adult survivor of an alcoholic father in the directorial debut.
COLOGNE, Germany -- Beyond, the directorial debut of actress Pernilla August will be Sweden's official contender for the 2011 Foreign Language Oscar. The drama stars Noomi Rapace - of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo fame - as the adult survivor of alcoholic parents. Rapace stars with her real-life husband Ola Rapace.
Based on the semi-autobiographical novel by Sweden's Susanne Alakoski, Beyond premiered at the Venice Film Festival last year. Rapace's understated performance won praise and comparison to the the slow-boiling Swedes in the films of Ingmar Bergman. The Millennium actress will next be seen in Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and Ridley Scott's sci-fi drama Prometheus.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will announce its five Foreign Language Oscar nominees on Jan. 24. The winner will be announced at the 2012 Oscar ceremony Feb. 26.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Third Person' Trailer Shows Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Liam Neeson Feeling Everything
- AMC's Hit Reality Show 'Small Town Security' Is Back For Season 3
- Bride Gives Groom 'Ghostbusters' Cake, Proves That She's A Keeper
- Ted Neeley, Original 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Hopes Pope Francis Will Come To The Musical