Philomena Lee to Be Honored by Women's Rights Group
The Feminist Majority Foundation will present its Eleanor Roosevelt Award to the inspiration behind one of this year's best picture nominees.
Philomena Lee, the Irish nurse portrayed by Judi Dench in Philomena, is set to receive the highest honor from the women's rights group Feminist Majority Foundation.
Lee will receive the Eleanor Roosevelt Award during the Global Women's Rights ceremony on May 5. The Los Angeles event is being chaired by Mavis Leno and Jay Leno.
"Philomena Lee belongs to the bravest category of warriors, the person who defies threats of shame and retribution and tells," said Mavis Leno. "Now, because of the Philomena Project, thousands of other women whose children were not given away, but stolen, may have help finding the sons and daughters they never got to take home. They will not have to die with their stories untold and their children's stories unknown to them."
Philomena tells the true story of Lee, who was forced to give up her son for adoption when he was 3. Fifty years later, she set out to find him with the help of a British journalist.
"It is thrilling when a motion picture sets the stage for real humanitarian activism, as is the case with Philomena," said Katherine Spillar, executive vp of the Feminist Majority Foundation. "It is even more thrilling when the power of a film and the power of a determined woman bring us to an imminent reversal of an inhumane condition."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Emmy Rossum & Zoey Deutch Celebrate with Jimmy Choo at their CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Zoe Saldana Is Pregnant with Fear in 'Rosemary's Baby' Trailer!
- Television Legend Valerie Harper 'Absolutely Cancer Free' After Battle with Terminal Brain Cancer
- Keri Russell's 'The Americans' Renewed for Third Season by FX!