Phone Hacking: 6 New U.K. Arrests
LONDON: Six former News of the World journalists, two of whom now work for the Sun, have been arrested by Scotland Yard officers investigating a new line of inquiry in relation to phone hacking, according to the Guardian.
In a new twist to the phone-hacking scandal on Wednesday morning, the Metropolitan police said in a statement that it had identified a further suspected conspiracy to intercept voicemail messages by three men and three women that is alleged to have taken place between 2005 and 2006.
"Detectives on Operation Weeting have identified a further suspected conspiracy to intercept telephone voicemails by a number of employees who worked for the now defunct News of the World newspaper," the Met said.
The Met added that the alleged victims of the hacking were not previously notified, confirming that it was "part of the new lines of inquiry."
None of those arrested have been arrested before.