Phone Hacking Victims Drop Demand for Punitive Damages Against News International
The judge for the civil cases brought by the likes of Hugh Grant had expressed concern that such damages could interfere with the criminal cases.
LONDON - Phone hacking victims here have dropped their call for punitive damages against News International, the U.K. newspaper arm of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.
The news comes a day after a judge in the criminal case against former News International CEO Rebekah Brooks and former News of the World editor Andy Coulson set a preliminary trial date for September 2013.
The civil claimants dropped the call for punitive damages, known here as "exemplary damages," to avoid prejudicing the criminal proceedings. The judge in the civil cases had expressed concern that claims for punitive damages would imply knowledge by senior News International executives and could therefore interfere with the criminal cases.
News International had previously also asked the court to strike the claims for punitive damages, which would have come on top of general damages, to limit its financial and legal exposure.
A News International spokeswoman acknowledged the decision on the punitive damages, but didn't comment further.
In a recent round of legal filings in the phone hacking case, close to 200 civil claims were submitted, including by the likes of Hugh Grant and Russell Brand.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- '300: Rise Of An Empire' Promotes Without Injured Sullivan Stapleton
- Nina Dobrev Hits The Beach In Cancun, Reminds Us What Paradise Looks Like
- Pharrell Details The Top Songs He's Produced, Form 'U Don't Have To Call' To 'I'm A Slave 4 U'
- Lenny Kravitz Shares Beautiful Throwback Photo With Daughter Zoë