PictureBox inks Polish deal with Disney
Takes on-demand rights to 30 Disney, Pixar titles
A movie subscription service in Europe called PictureBox -- which is wholly owned by Universal -- has picked up the on-demand rights in Poland to 30 films from the Walt Disney Company.
Deal is one more indication of just how highly penetrated and multi-platformed the Hollywood majors are around the world: They end up buying and selling from and to themselves as much as doing so with third party locals.
PictureBox is currently available in Poland on the N platform. Launched in 2006, the PictureBox service also operates on platforms in Britain and Singapore, with further global expansion planned.
Among the Mouse House movies in the package for the Polish paybox are the "Pirates of the Caribbean" trio of films, "The Incredibles," "National Treasure" and "Pretty Woman."
No financial details of the transaction between the two Hollywood majors were available.
PictureBox is available for a monthly fee and provides a broad selection of recent and library feature films, many never-before-seen on free-to-air television in Poland. Movies are refreshed on a weekly basis.
"The addition of Disney and Disney/Pixar titles to the PictureBox lineup further underscores our commitment to provide subscribers a robust destination for entertainment," said Belinda Menendez, president of NBC Universal International Television Distribution. "As PictureBox expands globally, we will continue forging new strategic alliances with content providers to enhance the brand and overall viewer experience."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!