The 5 Juiciest Reveals From Piers Morgan's New Book
In "Shooting Straight," out Oct. 15, the CNN host and gun control advocate dishes on snagging Oprah Winfrey as a guest, rude behavior from Tom Cruise and why his old boss Rupert Murdoch wouldn't ever appear.
This story first appeared in the Oct. 11 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
1. A Desperate Plea for Oprah
Morgan e-mailed Oprah Winfrey BFF Gayle King for help in getting the legend to appear on his show's premiere week: "Short of parasailing naked onto the White House roof, I'm prepared to do anything." It worked: She was his first guest.
2. Mel Gibson Has Manners ...
As the star feuded with Oksana Grigorieva, Morgan drove to his house to pitch in-person. Gibson's first words: "Can I get you a beer?" After several hours, Gibson turned him down, saying, "I don't trust myself not to … say stuff I'd regret."
3. … But Tom Cruise Doesn't
At 2011's Evening Before Emmy party, Cruise bumped into Morgan and sent his drink flying but didn't stop to apologize. When wife Katie Holmes paused to talk, Morgan invited her on his show -- with one condition. "Under no circumstances are you allowed to bring him with you," he said. Holmes giggled, "OK, understood."
4. Murdoch Doesn't Do Favors
Morgan invited his ex-News of the World boss Rupert Murdoch to be on his show but was told there was a "zero in a hundred" chance he'd appear on a Fox News rival channel.
5. Beatty Has Low Standards
At a Lakers game, Morgan asked Warren Beatty if he would sleep with any woman. Beatty said yes, "because you just never know" how it's going to turn out.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park