Pirate Party ready to come aboard
Australian political movement to contest on IPR issues
SYDNEY -- While the Australian government looks at introducing a new Internet filtering system, a new political force is set to start making waves down under.
The Pirate Party, lobbying on a platform of copyright reform, is seeking to register as an official political party here and plans to contest the next federal election.
Launching a membership drive and a call for office holders this week, the party’s Australian spokesperson Brendan Molloy told local media the party's policies are “all geared towards copyright reform, patent reform, anti-censorship, non-commercial file sharing, policy in regards to having digital rights management abolished and policy supporting the right to privacy of every Australian."
A statement on the party’s Web site said that Australian copyright law “now acts to constrain, rather than foster innovation, and leads to the criminalization of an entire generation who are sharing knowledge, culture and information freely and for no monetary gain, and a movement by proponents of copyright towards the erosion of civil liberties."
The Australian branch has been buoyed by the recent results of European Parliamentary elections in which the Swedish Pirate Party secured 7.1% of the Swedish vote and a seat in the European Parliament.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zac Efron, Dave Franco, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse Share Crazy Stories From "Neighbors" Set at SXSW 2014
- Jennifer Aniston Would Trade Bodies With Gisele Bundchen, Is Just Like Us
- What We Want To See In 'Looking' Season 2
- I Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More: 'True Detective' and the Deep Dark Secret of the American Psyche