'Pirates of the Caribbean 5' Will Hit Theaters July 2015; 'Maleficent' Moves to Summer 2014
UPDATED: Johnny Depp will return to star in the latest installment in Disney's blockbuster franchise; the studio also dates "Muppets 2" for March 2014 and the George Clooney 3D sci-fi pic "1952" for December 2014.
Making a number of major additions to its release calendar, Disney said Monday it will open the fifth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise on July 10, 2015. No director is attached, but Johnny Depp will return as Captain Jack Sparrow.
The move comes a week after word broke that Jeff Nathanson has come aboard to pen the script for Pirates 5.
Disney also has dated the George Clooney sci-fi epic 1952, directed by Brad Bird. The film -- which is being released in 3D -- is set to open Dec. 19, 2014, the beginning of the lucrative year-end holiday season. The film's plot is being kept under tight wraps.
The Muppets 2 also has gotten a release date: March 21, 2014. Ricky Gervais and Ty Burrell star in the sequel opposite the Muppets.
In a related move, Disney has decided to give Angelina Jolie's Maleficent a high-profile summer release. The film -- centering on the beloved villain from the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale -- moves from March 14, 2014, to July 2 of that year.
Lastly, Disney announced that Captain America: The Winter Soldier, opening in theaters April 4, 2014, and Guardians of the Galaxy, debuting Aug. 1, 2014, will both be released in 3D.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR