'Pirates of the Caribbean' Opens to $4.7 Million at Midnight Showings
Disney’s "On Stranger Tides" has already earned $44.2 mil internationally to pace 10% ahead of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End."
Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides continued to rock on Thursday at the international box office, grossing $25.7 million as it expanded into 27 additional markets and bringing its two-day total to $44.2 million from 37 territories. PHOTOS: The making of 'The Pirates of the Caribbean'
In the U.S., On Stranger Tides earned $4.7 million in Thursday midnight runs from 2,210 theaters, a strong showing. By comparison, Fast Five made $3.8 million in midnights from 1,104 theaters on its way to a $86.2 million weekend debut. On Stranger Tides also did bigger midnight business than Thor ($3.3 million), Avatar ($3.5 million) or Tron: Legacy ($3.6 million).
The last film in the franchise, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, debuted to $114.7 million domestically, and Disney is hoping On Stranger Tides will open to at least $100 million, although tracking suggests a launch of between $90 million and $100 million.
Internationally, On Stranger Tides is pacing 10 percent ahead of where Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, the last film in the blockbuster franchise, was at in its first two days at the foreign box office. That means On Stranger Tides could gross $150 million or more in its international debut.
Many territories open films either on Wednesday or Thursday, versus the traditional Friday in the U.S.
On Stranger Tides is doing staggering business in Russia, where it opened on Wednesday to a record-breaking $5 million. On Thursday, it grossed another $5.2 million. The two-day total is 365 percent ahead of At World’s End.
In the U.S., On Stranger Tides, which cost $250 million to make, moves into a total of 4,155 theaters on Friday, including 256 IMAX theaters, a record number for the large format exhibitor.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sandra Bullock's Stylist Elizabeth Stewart Awarded THR's Top Stylist Ranking!
- Emma Watson Begins 'Noah' Press Tour, Premieres Film in Berlin!
- Kanye West & Jay Z Perform 'Otis,' 'Gotta Have It' & More at SXSW - Watch Now!
- 'Two & a Half Men,' 'Good Wife' & Many Others Renewed By CBS, 'Crazy Ones,' Left Off List