'Playboy Club' Cancellation: What Hollywood, Viewers Are Saying
The struggling NBC drama was the season's first cancellation.
After three weeks on the air, NBC has canceled its controversial series, The Playboy Club.
With NBC slotting Brian Williams' new primetime newsmagazine show, Rock Center, beginning Monday, Oct. 31 after a few weeks of Prime Suspect repeats, the 1960s-set drama's demise wasn't exactly a shocker. Premiering Sept. 20 to 5 million viewers and a 1.6 rating in the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demo, the Eddie Cibrian-led series faced an uphill battle, finding itself engaged in a war of words with the Parents Television Council.
The PTC targeted the show early on for objectifying women since the network made the series pickup in May. But executive producer Chad Hodge downplayed the controversy after Gloria Steinem called for a boycott and an NBC affiliate refused to air it.
"I think there’s a perception of the show that’s false," he told The Hollywood Reporter. "There are different brands of feminism and I don’t think it should be boxed into any one version."
Modern Family writer Danny Zuker tweeted, "NBC to 'Playboy Club' actors: 'You can start shaving your pubes, again.' " Meanwhile, Brian Lynch wrote, "'Playboy Club' being canceled does NOT bode well for my new show, 'Hustler Shack.' "
Here are what others are saying about Playboy Club's demise:
NBC cancels THE PLAYBOY CLUB, proving the power of protesting TV shows. Or, um, not watching them.
And it's official. RIP Playboy Club. You will not be missed. And sorry women, you'll have to be "empowered" someplace else.
Wow, The Playboy Club was canceled already? Seriously? Just when the world was going to learn the Bunny Bend and Snap!
The Playboy Club was canceled.. Good! That show sucked.
NBC gives full-season order to Whitney. If only Playboy Club hired Cummings as a Borscht Belty comic who dressed up as a sexy nurse.
What is Chicago going to do w/o Leann Rimes?
If Pan Am's canceled, I hope a plane crashes into a branch of the Playboy Club. Then Don Draper can do an ad campaign to reassure passengers
Oof, Playboy Club just canceled. Guess 'em bunnies weren't quite so hoppin'.
my fav new show The Playboy Club got cancelled. Now il never know if the mob finds out Bunny Maureen killed Bruno Bianchi :(
Apparently @bwilliams is sexier than 'Playboy Club' when it comes to ratings
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws