'Point Break': Planned Remake Sparks Outcry on Twitter
"If ever there was a time for Swayze to return Ghost-style and prevent a great wrong from happening, it's now," tweets one fan of the 1991 original.
The news that Alcon Entertainment and Warner Bros. are remaking Kathryn Bigelow's 1991 movie Point Break was met with jeers by fans of the original.
In the movie, Keanu Reeves starred as Johnny Utah, an undercover FBI agent looking for a gang of bank robbers, led by Patrick Swayze’s Bodhi, amid the Southern California surfing scene. The new version, with a screenplay by Kurt Wimmer (Salt), will be set in the world of international extreme sports and also involve an FBI agent infiltrating a criminal ring.
Fans took to Twitter to weigh in on the news Monday, with most expressing their disappointment. Among the tweets:
Justin Stangel, head writer/executive producer of Late Show with David Letterman
Warner Bros plans on remaking the 1991 action-thriller Point Break. Really? How do you recreate perfection?
This is sacrilege. Unless @THEGaryBusey is in it again.
They're remaking Point Break. If ever there was a time for Swayze to return Ghost-style and prevent a great wrong from happening, it's now.
Children of the 90's, prepare to die a little inside. The 'Point Break' reboot is on its way. gofobo.it/PB-REBOOT
F--- off. RT @THR: Alcon and Warners to Remake the 1991 Surfing Classic 'Point Break'
No, no, NO!
If you want another POINT BREAK, make a sequel with Johnny Utah now embracing Bodhi's philosophy but faced with another 'quarterback punk'!
At least for me, what made Point Break was the direction, stuntwork, and Swayze. A hard mix to repeat. All I'm sayin'..
They are officially ruining Point Break
Make. It. Stop.
My good Lord, is nothing sacred...
@cadorette point break is being remade too?! Awesome! ...and I only partially jest.
Really , Hollywood is so out of ideas that they are doing a point break remake . Maybe Keanu will play the busey part this time
Russell Simmons [not the hip-hop mogul]
Point break remake, DUDE's wtf! Hollywood need to get some balls & green light some of the stacks of original screen plays out there
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Third Person' Trailer Shows Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Liam Neeson Feeling Everything
- AMC's Hit Reality Show 'Small Town Security' Is Back For Season 3
- Bride Gives Groom 'Ghostbusters' Cake, Proves That She's A Keeper
- Ted Neeley, Original 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Hopes Pope Francis Will Come To The Musical