Pope Chosen: What Hollywood Is Saying
Seth MacFarlane, Steve Martin, Jim Gaffigan, Ellen DeGeneres and other industry figures weigh in on the Vatican announcement on Twitter.
On Wednesday, as white smoke rose from the Vatican, its expected that a new Pope will be chosen.
Argentina's Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio was chosen and Hollywood has greeted the prelude and announcement news on Twitter with interest and humor. Here's a snapshot of the industry figures who have weighed in on the news:
A new Pope has been chosen! I haven't seen this many people transfixed by a puff of white smoke since the discovery of fire!
— Joan Rivers (@Joan_Rivers) March 13, 2013
As white smoke rises from the Vatican, Benedict's powers of flight, invisibility & eye lasers quietly leave him.
— Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) March 13, 2013
I hope this new Pope has signed a non-retirement clause.
— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) March 13, 2013
The good thing about being sick is I don't have to miss one minute of #PopeWatch2013. Back to the Chimney Cam.
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) March 13, 2013
too many things rhyme with pope
— B.J. Novak (@bjnovak) March 13, 2013
White smoke = The real Bachelor finale.
— Jim Gaffigan (@JimGaffigan) March 13, 2013
To signal the conclave had not reached a decision, they released black smoke from a chimney and emptied 400 styrofoam cups into the street.
— Seth MacFarlane (@SethMacFarlane) March 13, 2013
Signaling that a new pope has been chosen using smoke is sort of the opposite of signaling it with Twitter.
— Arianna Huffington (@ariannahuff) March 12, 2013
New pope? White smoke? Who got the gig?
— Melissa Joan Hart (@MelissaJoanHart) March 13, 2013
Rumors already swirling in Hollywood that the new Pope will replace Leno on NBC at 1130.
— Craig Ferguson (@CraigyFerg) March 13, 2013
The new Pope just called! The new Pope just called!
— Steve Martin (@SteveMartinToGo) March 13, 2013
Did they just go to central casting to get the new pope?
— Eric Stonestreet (@ericstonestreet) March 13, 2013
Please call me Pope JORGE !
— George Lopez (@georgelopez) March 13, 2013
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'