Presidential Election, Chewbacca Mom Dominate Top Facebook Moments of 2016
The presidential election was the most-talked-about moment on the social network this year, followed by Brazilian politics and 'Pokemon Go.'
Politics dominated social chatter on Facebook during 2016.
The social network on Monday released its list of top global topics from the year, and the U.S. presidential election was No. 1, followed by Brazilian politics in the No. 2 spot. The Philippine presidential election and Brexit nabbed the No. 5 and No. 7 spots, respectively.
Other top topics include Pokemon Go, the Olympics, the Super Bowl and the deaths of David Bowie and Muhammad Ali.
When it comes to Facebook Live — the new live broadcasting platform that the social network introduced earlier this year — there wasn't much of a contest. Candace Payne's Chewbacca Mom video was No. 1. It currently has 164 million views. Ted Yoder's hammered dulcimer performance, which currently has 85 million views, came in at No. 2.
BuzzFeed, NBC News, CNN and Turner-owned Super Deluxe also have videos in the top 10.
Here are the complete lists:
1. U.S. Presidential Election
2. Brazilian Politics
3. Pokemon Go
4. Black Lives Matter
5. Rodrigo Duterte & Philippine Presidential Election
8. Super Bowl
9. David Bowie
10. Muhammad Ali
Top Global Facebook Live Videos
1. Candace Payne, Chewbacca Mom
2. Ted Yoder, Soundscapes
3. BuzzFeed, Countdown to the next presidential election
4. Atlanta Buzz, People are lining up to hug police officers in Dallas
5. NBC News, Election results
6. Under the Hood, Video of a truck completely carved out of wood
7. Viral Thread, Population count from U.S. to CA
8. CNN, Election results on Empire State Building
9. Dena Blizzard, Pokemon Go for moms "Chardonnay Go"
10. Super Deluxe, Election Map