Prince Died of Opioid Overdose, Tests Show

Getty Images
Prince

The iconic musician was found dead in his Minnesota home on the morning of April 21.

Prince died of an opioid overdose, specifically fentanyl, according to test results released Thursday.

The iconic musician was found dead in his Minnesota home on the morning of April 21. 

The official cause of death was released by the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office. Prince weighed 112 pounds at the time of his death, according to the document. 

In the weeks following his death, it was widely reported that the 57-year-old had been abusing painkillers. It also was reported that Prince was scheduled to meet with an addiction specialist on April 22. 

That doctor could not make it out to Prince quickly enough, so he sent his son to check on the musician. His son is the person who called 911 when Prince was found lifeless. The son had a controlled substance on his person that the doctor had given him for Prince.

A lawyer for the family said he fears the son will be charged, but has confidence the son will not be prosecuted since he was the person who called authorities.

The Carver County Sheriff's Office opened a criminal investigation shortly after the recording artist's death. A search warrant was issued, but the documents were sealed, so details are unclear. 

Since the investigation started, the Drug Enforcement Administration and additional federal authorities have begun working with the sheriff's office. 

Prince was cremated and a small service for family and close friends was held the weekend of his death.

Since his death, members of his family have been in court in an attempt to procure portions of his estate. 

The judge overseeing the estate case authorized genetic testing of a blood sample taken from Prince in case those results become necessary in determining who is entitled to shares of his estate.

comments powered by Disqus