Princes William and Harry Talk to Princess Diana's Brother at Royal Wedding
Spencer stood at the pulpit in Westminster Abbey 14 years ago condemning the Royal family for their treatment of Princess Diana.
LONDON -- What a difference the years make. The last time William, Harry and Earl Spencer were together in Westminster Abbey was for the funeral of Princess Diana, at which Diana’s brother delivered a stunning oratorical attack on the Royal family. PHOTOS: What Kate Middleton and famous guests wore to the wedding
But one of the first people to be warmly greeted by Princes William and Harry after he arrived at Westminster Abbey was the seated Earl Spencer and members of Diana’s family.
Spencer, who stood at the pulpit in the Abbey fourteen years ago and condemned the Royal family for their treatment of Diana, had gone on to describe the Spencer family as the young princes’ “blood family.” PHOTOS: Kate Middleton and Prince William say "I Do"
But although he unexpectedly took centre stage at the funeral, in subsequent years he has remained a peripheral figure to the Royal family, making the Princes’ affable greeting all the more remarkable. PHOTOS: Famous royal weddings
William, in the full military dress the traditional red tunic of the Irish Guards and Harry, wearing the gold-brocaded uniform of the Blues and Royal’ regiment, part of the Household Cavalry – arrived at Westminster Abbey a full 40 minutes before the ceremony was due to start.
The Princes, who traveled from Clarence House to the Abbey together in a closed-top royal Bentley, spent a few moments speaking to friends in the Abbey before being taken away to a private area in the Abbey for a last period of quiet reflection before the ceremony. PHOTOS: The 9 wackiest wedding celebrations
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Will Hillary & Bill Clinton's Daughter Chelsea Be Running for Office?
- Miley Cyrus Will 'Remain Hospitalized' After 'Extreme' Reaction to Sinus Infection Antibiotics
- Taylor Swift Steps Out for Ingrid Michaelson Concert in Brooklyn!