Princess Diana Biopic 'Caught in Flight' Renamed 'Diana'
Naomi Watts stars as the British princess whose death in a Paris car crash made headlines around the world in 1997.
LONDON -- The buzz biopic of British icon Princess Diana, starring Naomi Watts as the lady in question, has a new name.
Oliver Hirschbiegel's big-screen portrait, originally touted to buyers during Berlin and then Cannes this year as Caught in Flight, has been retitled as simply Diana.
Shooting on the film produced by U.K. production company Ecosse Films is under way, with Watts starring alongside Naveen Andrews, Douglas Hodge and Juliet Stevenson.
Tim Haslam, the former CEO of Hanway Films, is handling worldwide sales via his Embankment Films. All major international territories already are presold, excluding the U.S.
Hirschbiegel directs Watts based on a screenplay by Stephen Jeffreys (The Libertine).
Billed as a love story, the movie reveals Princess Diana’s unexpected and empowering relationship with heart surgeon Dr. Hasnat Khan.
Watts described landing the turn as "an honor to be able to play this iconic role."
The nine-week shoot will take the production to such locations including Croatia, Mozambique and in and around London.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR