Irony Alert: Princess Di Movie Strikes Deal With Paparazzi Agency
Exclusive photo deal calmed potential chaos for pic starring Naomi Watts as Diana.
This story first appeared in the Oct. 5 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
Naomi Watts' upcoming Princess Diana movie, about her final years under siege by celebrity photographers -- made even more relevant by Kate Middleton's topless-pictures scandal -- had its own paparazzi challenges.
They hit their peak during the film's re-creation of the royal divorcee's famous yachting romance with Dodi Fayed, played by Cas Anvar.
Knowing the shoot of Diana would be a media magnet on the open sea -- and that water work is tricky for any production -- Ecosse Films made the decision to strike an exclusive arrangement with Splash News & Picture Agency (ironic, given the subject) to give it access to the best photo angles.
Thus, they deterred most other paparazzi from bothering to hang around. "We knew we would have to deal with the situation, so we got out in front of it," the film's rep tells THR.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'