Proactiv Latest Advertiser to Pull Out of MTV's Skins (EXCLUSIVE)
"We have officially requested that MTV revise our traffic schedule so that Proactiv spots cease airing during Skins," a company vp tells THR.
"We have officially requested that MTV revise our traffic schedule so that Proactiv spots cease airing during Skins," Kendra Elliott, vice president, media of the company's manufacturer, Guthy-Renker, tells The Hollywood Reporter exclusively.
"As a direct marketer, our media buying strategy is programming agnostic," adds Elliott. "We work with the networks and buy across the broadcast day, vs. selecting specific shows.
"So, while our spots may air inside a particular program, it is not representative of our specific desire to support the programming and content of that particular show," Elliott goes on. "MTV’s programming changes constantly and many of the shows are repeats."
Direct response advertising is often the most tolerant of advertisers.
The company has received several complaints from viewers regarding its placement on the show.
Another familiar brand Clearasil advertised in Skins' third episode. It was also included in Monday night’s show. "Piss on a piece of toilet paper and rub it on your face. It works better than Clearasil," one character said.
Clearasil has yet to weigh in.
Taco Bell, GM, H&R Block and Wrigley are among the advertisers who have pulled out of the controversial MTV series, which features teenaged actors having sex and doing drugs.
The Parents Television Council has called it the "most dangerous show for teens."
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead