PTC Targets ABC's 'Good Christian Bitches'
1:57 PM PST 3/9/2011 by Mark Cina
Group is urging members to sign a petition protesting the title of the pilot which it says is "an affront to women" and "attacks the world’s largest faith."
Move over, MTV’s Skins.The Parents Television Council is now going after Disney-owned ABC for titling an upcoming comedy pilot Good Christian Bitches. “ABC’s decision is not only an affront to women, it blatantly attacks the world’s largest faith," PTC President Tim Winter said in a statement Wednesday. "The ‘b-word’ is toxic and is used to degrade, abuse, harass, bully and humiliate women. And the ‘Christian’ element only adds insult to injury. Regardless of whether the title ultimately makes it to broadcast, ABC has publicly proclaimed its values and it has tarnished the Disney brand." Winter has called for members and concerned citizens to sign a petition to protest. “Would ABC even consider another faith to denigrate? Would they even consider a program title or a plot line based on ‘Bitches’ who were Muslim, Hindu, Jewish or Buddhist?" asked Winter. "I suspect not, and I certainly hope not So why the double standard?" The PIC has taken aim at ABC before for another pilot titled Don’t Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23. “This is the latest strike in what appears to be a concerted effort to popularize profanity on network television," said Winter. "On prime time broadcast TV, use of the b-word alone increased from 431 instances in 1998 to 1,277 in 2007.” Said Winter, “Unless or until ABC realizes that its decision about Good Christian Bitches was misguided, PTC will use every method at its disposal to turn advertisers and viewers away from a provocative title that compromises respect for both women and Christians in an attempt to draw ratings.”
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama