Purefoy takes stab at hero role
James Purefoy has been cast as puritan swordsman Solomon Kane in a movie of the same name to be made from the stories of Robert Howard.
Purefoy, who recently headlined HBO's "Rome" as Emperor Mark Antony, has been cast in the Davis Films production, which is scheduled to start shooting this year.
Paris-based producer and distributor Samuel Hadida said Monday that signing Purefoy came after "an exhaustive search" for the iconic hero of Howard's classic comic book character. Howard also created Conan the Barbarian.
Kane is a 16th century soldier who learns that his cruel actions have damned him but is determined to redeem himself by living peaceably. But he finds himself dragged out of retirement for a fight against evil.
The film is the first in a planned series of three movies. Michael Bassett ("Deathwatch") will direct from his own script, with Hadida and Wandering Star principal Paul Berrow in Prague producing.
"(James) Purefoy's ability to embody Kane's complex heroism, struggles and failings as he wages a mortal battle made him the perfect modern hero in this epic fantasy," Hadida said.
Purefoy is repped by CAA, Independent Talent Group and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.
Davis Films also is working on "Onimusha" with director Christophe Gans and "Killing Suki Flood," to be directed by Louis Couvelaire.
Run by French siblings Samuel and Victor Hadida, Davis Films is one of France's leading production and distribution labels.
International sales for "Kane" are being handled by Los Angeles-based Essential Entertainment.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Experience The Controlled Chaos Behind Cuba Gooding Jr.'s 1997 Oscars Acceptance Speech
- John Gallagher Jr. On The Upcoming Final Season Of 'The Newsroom'
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Gedeon Luke Keeps the Soul Train Moving ; Viv and the Revival Breaks Your Heart
- Comcast To Charge Insane Amount For A Single Season Of 'House Of Cards'