Putin Praises Elton John, Rules Out Discrimination of Gay Athletes at Sochi
The Russian president also downplayed the expected absence of several key Western leaders.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has praised Elton John, an artist who used his recent Russian show to express support for the local gay community, and stressed that Russia will welcome all athletes and guests at the upcoming Sochi Winter Olympics, regardless of their sexual orientation.
Putin's comments came during an interview with several Russian and international reporters, including ABC News' George Stephanopoulos, the only U.S. journalist.
"Elton John is an outstanding person [and] outstanding musician,” Putin was quoted as saying by NME. “Millions of our people sincerely love him despite his orientation."
The statements came only a few weeks after John's Moscow show, which he dedicated to a man killed for being gay in South Russia, also condemning discrimination against the local gay community onstage.
Recently, the Russian president has made some more remarks related to treatment of gay people and the refusal by some Western leaders to attend next month's Sochi Olympics.
"People have different sexual orientations,” Putin was quoted as saying by AFP. “We will welcome all athletes and all guests of the Olympics."
According to the Russian leader, the fact that several major Western leaders won't be attending the Olympics shouldn't be exaggerated.
"Political ambitions related to how many came and where, they are absolutely inappropriate," he was quoted as saying. "The Olympics is not a competition of politicians."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zac Efron, Dave Franco, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse Share Crazy Stories From "Neighbors" Set at SXSW 2014
- Jennifer Aniston Would Trade Bodies With Gisele Bundchen, Is Just Like Us
- What We Want To See In 'Looking' Season 2
- I Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More: 'True Detective' and the Deep Dark Secret of the American Psyche