THR's Director Roundtable: Quentin Tarantino, Ben Affleck Reveal Strangest Fan Letters (Video)
Ang Lee spoke about who wants him to direct "Fifty Shades of Grey" and David O. Russell dished on a pitch for a bipolar superhero film.
A filmmaker's fans often provide some colorful feedback, top helmers revealed during The Hollywood Reporter’s Director Roundtable.
“I had a letter from someone in China that said they were glad about what we did to the Japanese in Pearl Harbor,” said Ben Affleck, an Oscar contender for Argo. “I wasn't sure if they understood that it was a historical movie or what, or why they even watched the movie.”
Quentin Tarantino (Django Unchained) received one of his most touching fan letters from a 14-year-old Kill Bill fanatic, who wrote a treatment for a third volume of the series.
“I called her and thanked her for it,” Tarantino said. “I thought it was just so sweet that this little girl liked the movie so much that she continued the story herself. I always really hope that people take the story on themselves and take it to a different place and fill in the blanks that I didn't tell them about.”
David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook) received a letter suggesting he make a film about a bipolar superhero. He noted the pitch was apropos since his most recent film featured characters with bipolar behavior.
“The letter itself was bipolar because it was delusional,” said Russell. “But it was halfway interesting. The motto of the superhero was, 'I hate being bipolar, it's awesome.'
The directors also spoke about some of the more memorable pitches from studio executives and journalists.
Ang Lee (Life of Pi) said a female journalist recently suggested he tackle the film adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey, while Gus Van Sant (Promised Land) wrote a script about a bathroom attendant at the behest of an executive, who ended up not making the film.
Affleck, Lee, Russell, Tarantino and Van Sant were joined by Tom Hooper (Les Miserables) for a roundtable discussion moderated by THR news editor Matthew Belloni and executive editor features Stephen Galloway.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game