Weinstein Co. Label Picks Up 'Drive' Director's 'Pusher' Remake
Radius-TWC, the company's new VOD-oriented label, snags U.S. and Caribbean rights to the English-language remake of Nicolas Winding Refn's 1996 movie.
Radius-TWC, the Weinstein Co.’s new VOD-oriented label, has made its second acquisition, picking up the U.S. and Caribbean rights to Pusher, an English-language remake of a 1996 Danish movie directed by Nicolas Winding Refn.
Refn, who has since gone on to international acclaim with last year’s movie Drive, was involved in the remake, which is directed by Luis Prieto and written by Matthew Read, and is an exec producer.
Pusher centers on a London drug pusher who grows increasingly desperate during the course of a week after a botched deal leaves him with a large debt to a ruthless drug lord. The cast includes Richard Coyle (W.E.), model/actress Agyness Deyn (Clash of the Titans), Bronson Webb (Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides), Mem Ferda (The Devil’s Double) and Zlatko Buric.
Radius-TWC plans a late 2012 release.
The acquisition marks a return to Pusher territory for Radius co-presidents Tom Quinn and Jason Janego. When the duo were at Magnolia Pictures, they picked up the original Pusher trilogy for U.S. release.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!