Rainmaker plans 3-D ani 'Escape'
The comedy feature "Escape From Planet Earth" will be produced at Rainmaker Animation for a 3-D stereoscopic digital cinema release.
Production will take place at Rainmaker's Vancouver facility; "Escape" marks the first theatrical animated feature for the company. The Weinstein Co. is financing the film and will handle worldwide distribution.
Of the 3-D decision, Rainmaker executive vp Paul Gertz said: "That's the way films are going. (Content creators) need to give people an extraordinary experience when they go to the theater. This seems to be the next big leap in the theatrical experience."
"Escape" is in preproduction. Gertz said that the production pipeline was being refined to accommodate the 3-D component.
The film is being helmed by Tony Leech and was written by Leech and Cory Edwards. The story, based an original idea by Leech, is a comedy about an alien prison break from Area 51.
Producing are Ed Jones and Gregory R. Little of Rainmaker, Preston Stutzman of Blue Yonder Films, Jonathan Shestack of Jon Shestack Prods. and Brian Inerfeld of Protocol. Rick Mischel is executive producer, and Jeremy Stein will co-produce.
Overseeing the project on behalf of the Weinstein Co. are co-president of production Michael Cole and vp production and development Eric Robinson.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Lindsay Lohan Misses Her AA Meeting, Blames Paparazzi On Premiere Of OWN Series (VIDEO)
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed