Rapper Capital Steez of Pro Era Dead at 19
The cause of death has not been disclosed, but there is speculation that the Brooklyn-based artist may have committed suicide.
Capital Steez, an up-and-coming rapper in the Brooklyn-based Pro Era collective, died on Monday morning. Steez, real name Jamal Dewar, was 19.
The rapper's friend and collaborator Joey Bada$$ announced the news on Twitter, saying, "This unfortunate xmas eve… Lost a best friend, a brother, a pro, a partner. Letting go is never easy."
Bada$$ goes on to say that "part of me doesn't believe this." Other members of New Era to post comments include Chuck Strangers and CJ Fly. This week the rap collective released the mixtape, PEEP: The Aprocopalypse on Cinematic Affairs. Label CEO Johnny Shipes also confirmed the death on Twitter, writing "R.I.P. STEEZ."
Further details on the cause of death have not been disclosed, however there is speculation that the rapper may have committed suicide as his final message on Twitter reads, simply, "The end."
Watch Steez's video for "Free the Robots," released in October, here.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Third Person' Trailer Shows Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Liam Neeson Feeling Everything
- AMC's Hit Reality Show 'Small Town Security' Is Back For Season 3
- Bride Gives Groom 'Ghostbusters' Cake, Proves That She's A Keeper
- Ted Neeley, Original 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Hopes Pope Francis Will Come To The Musical