Rapper Capital Steez of Pro Era Dead at 19
The cause of death has not been disclosed, but there is speculation that the Brooklyn-based artist may have committed suicide.
Capital Steez, an up-and-coming rapper in the Brooklyn-based Pro Era collective, died on Monday morning. Steez, real name Jamal Dewar, was 19.
The rapper's friend and collaborator Joey Bada$$ announced the news on Twitter, saying, "This unfortunate xmas eve… Lost a best friend, a brother, a pro, a partner. Letting go is never easy."
Bada$$ goes on to say that "part of me doesn't believe this." Other members of New Era to post comments include Chuck Strangers and CJ Fly. This week the rap collective released the mixtape, PEEP: The Aprocopalypse on Cinematic Affairs. Label CEO Johnny Shipes also confirmed the death on Twitter, writing "R.I.P. STEEZ."
Further details on the cause of death have not been disclosed, however there is speculation that the rapper may have committed suicide as his final message on Twitter reads, simply, "The end."
Watch Steez's video for "Free the Robots," released in October, here.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game