'Ray Donovan' Premiere: Liev Schreiber, Jon Voight Fete Showtime's Latest Drama
The cast and crew join network brass at the DGA to toast the family drama and sing creator Ann Biderman's praises.
As the Showtime hit Dexter heads into its final season, the network has a new drama series on deck.
Cast, crew and network brass gathered Tuesday for the premiere of Showtime’s latest drama Ray Donovan, and during a pre-screening mixer at the DGA, the creative team sounded off on the dark family drama.
The series, created by Ann Biderman (Southland, Public Enemies), centers on Ray Donovan (Liev Schreiber), a celebrity fixer who must balance his client’s orders and mounting family issues brought on by his father’s (Jon Voight) release from jail. As the show progresses, Donovan’s wife (Paula Malcomson) and children (Kerris Dorsey, Devon Bagby) learn more abut his past as they navigate through their life in Los Angeles.
The cast -- which also includes Dash Mihok, Eddie Marsan, Steven Bauer, Kate Moenning and Elliot Gould -- attended the premiere less than a week after they finished filming the 12-episode order. Showtime CEO Matthew C. Blank and entertainment president David Nevins walked the carpet as well.
Schrieber, who attended the event with partner Naomi Watts, lauded Biderman’s writing for his character. “The vision and the insight into contemporary masculinity that Ann Biderman has is very fascinating,” Schrieber told The Hollywood Reporter.
Other stars of the show echoed Schreiber’s accolades for Biderman.
Malcomson, who plays Donovan’s Hollywood-obsessed wife, attributes her ability to portray such a complex character to Biderman’s script. “You just read the scripts with this one,” Malcomson told THR. “You don’t have to do much more than that. It’s really on the page.”
Bauer, who plays Donovan’s right-hand man Avi, described the production process under Biderman’s wing as “amazing,” noting that the cast and crew have become family. “Every time we do a table reading for the next episode, there’s laughter and applause at the table,” Bauer said. “So, as an actor, to go to work on something that’s so good creatively -- it’s just a blessing.”
Bauer added that Schreiber attended his casting call for his part. Since the two work so closely on the show, Bauer said he feels that Schreiber can “instinctively” trust him, both on and off camera.
As the third part of Avi and Ray’s team on the show, Lena, portrayed by Moenning (The L Word), works behind the scenes of each celebrity fixing operation. Moenning, who is no stranger to playing a bold, prominent female role, said working on the show was “an absolute dream.” “It’s a fantasy to play a girl who has no fear and completely goes for it with a job that’s not your typical job, and I just have an absolute blast,” Moenning said.
Many of the castmembers acknowledged the breadth of experienced actors working on the show. Grey’s Anatomy alum Brooke Smith, who plays a nurse and potential love interest of one of Donovan’s brothers (Marsan), spoke to THR while starstruck in the presence of Gould.
“I act really cool, but I mean, it’s Elliot Gould,” Smith said. “Every time we do a table read, it’s everything in my power not to stand up and start screaming.”
Time Warner Cable sponsored the event.
Ray Donovan premieres Sunday, June 30, at 10 p.m. after the final season opener for Dexter on Showtime.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!