'Real Housewives' Stars Teresa and Joe Giudice Plead Not Guilty to Fraud Charges
The NJ couple is accused of exaggerating their income and then hiding their fortunes in a bankruptcy filing as well as submitting fake tax returns.
NEWARK — Two stars of The Real Housewives of New Jersey pleaded not guilty Wednesday to a host of federal fraud charges.
Teresa and Guiseppe "Joe" Giudice made their pleas in U.S. District Court after passing through a gauntlet of news media outside the courthouse. Neither spoke during the five-minute court proceeding, and their pleas were entered by their respective attorneys.
U.S. District Judge Esther Salas set a trial date of Oct. 8.
The Giudices were charged last month in a 39-count indictment with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, bank fraud, making false statements on loan applications and bankruptcy fraud.
The couple is accused of exaggerating their income while applying for loans before their show debuted in 2009, then hiding their fortunes in a bankruptcy filing after their first season aired.
They are also accused of submitting fraudulent mortgage and loan applications and fabricating tax returns and W2 forms.
Prosecutors allege Joe Giudice also failed to file federal tax returns from 2004 to 2008.
Both face hundreds of years in prison and millions of dollars in fines if convicted and given consecutive sentences, but federal sentencing guidelines would likely greatly reduce the penalties.
The couple filed for bankruptcy in 2009, claiming they owed $11 million, including $2.2 million in mortgages, $13,000 to Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom, and nearly $12,000 to a fertility clinic.
Joe Giudice also is facing charges in Passaic County that he used his brother's identity to obtain a driver's license, presenting his marriage and birth certificates. He rejected a plea deal in April through his lawyer, Miles Feinstein.
Teresa Giudice has parlayed her fame into cookbooks, a line of ready-made bellinis and "Skinny Italian," a specialty food line.
On the show, she is known for her expensive tastes and combative relationship with her brother and sister-in-law. The couple has four children.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David