Rebekah Brooks, Andy Coulson Appear in London Court to Face Corruption Charges
Authorities recently announced charges against the former News International CEO and the former tabloid editor in a probe of payments to public officials.
LONDON - Former News International CEO Rebekah Brooks, former News of the World editor Andy Coulson and several others made a brief court appearance here Thursday to formally face corruption charges.
Earlier this month, U.K. prosecutors had said that they had enough evidence in an investigation of illegal payments to public officials to bring criminal charges against at least five people, including the two, two other former top journalists at the U.K. newspaper unit of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. and a public official.
The charges followed a police probe into payments by journalists to officials in exchange for information, such as phone numbers for Britain's Royal Family and news for publication in tabloids.
The defendants will return to court on Dec. 6.
Britain's Crown Prosecution Service announced the charges that are a result of what London Metropolitan Police, also known as Scotland Yard, has called "Operation Elveden." It came in the wake of the long-running phone hacking probe, in which Brooks and Coulson have been key players.
Coulson previously also worked as communications advisor for British Prime Minister David Cameron.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting