Rebekah Brooks Formally Charged in Phone Hacking Scandal
The London Metropolitan Police, also known as Scotland Yard, on Thursday evening formally charged Rebekah Brooks, the former CEO of News Corp.'s U.K. newspaper business, a spokesman told The Hollywood Reporter.
This makes official the charges announced last week against the long-time ally of News Corp. boss Rupert Murdoch who used to run News Corp.'s U.K. newspaper operations.
Brooks was charged Thursday evening here and bailed to appear in court in September, the spokesman said.
Brooks is charged with three phone hacking-related charges.
The Crown Prosecution Service late last month announced its decision to formally charge Brooks and Andy Coulson, a former editor of the now-shuttered News of the World tabloid and former communications aide to Prime Minister David Cameron.
The CPS said back then that charges would also be brought against Stuart Kuttner, former managing editor of the News of the World, Ian Edmondson, former news editor, Greg Miskiw another former news editor, Neville Thurlbeck, former chief reporter, James Weatherup, former assistant news editor, and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire.
In a statement, Scotland Yard said: "Further to last week's announcement by the CPS in connection with [the phone hacking investigation] Operation Weeting, the Metropolitan Police Service investigation into the hacking of voice mailboxes, Rebekah Brooks answered bail at Lewisham police station this evening, Thursday 2 August, and was charged... Ms. Brooks, 44 (27.5.68), unemployed, of Churchill, Oxfordshire was bailed to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 3 September."