Rebekah Brooks, Husband Among Five Released on Bail in Phone Hacking Inquiry (Report)
The long-time Rupert Murdoch associate and former News International CEO and spouse were among six detained for questioning on Tuesday morning.
NEW YORK - Former News International CEO and Rupert Murdoch associate Rebekah Brooks and her husband are understood to be among five suspects in a phone hacking cover-up inquiry who were released Tuesday night, The Guardian reported.
The paper cited comments from Scotland Yard, which didn't specify names though. The Guardian said the five were bailed to dates next month, with a sixth suspect remaining in custody.
The individuals were arrested earlier in the day over cover-up allegations in the phone hacking scandal that Murdoch-led media giant News Corp. has been embroiled in. The Guardian said the arrested were under "suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice."
Brooks used to run News International, the U.K. newspaper arm of News Corp., until resigning amid growing political pressure in July.
Mark Hanna, News International's head of security, was confirmed by the company as one of the people arrested in the latest step of what is dubbed Operation Weeting, the police-led inquiry into phone hacking, according to the paper.
Email: [email protected]