The Rebirth of Roman Polanski
Two years after his arrest, the fugitive director returns to the Zurich Film Festival on a career rebound.
Around this time in 2009, an unsuspecting Roman Polanski flew to the Zurich Film Festival to receive a lifetime achievement award. He didn't get farther than the airport. Swiss police arrested him on a U.S. warrant from 1978, when Polanski fled the country after pleading guilty to having unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl. What followed was months of house arrest, a long extradition battle and a media circus. It ended, as it began, with Polanski a free man.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR