Redbox Parent Outerwall Stock Rises as Activist Investor Discloses Stake
Jana Partners says the company needs to cut costs, shed businesses and consider an outright sale.
Shares of Redbox parent Outerwall popped 12 percent early Monday before settling into a 4 percent gain in midday trading after Jana Partners disclosed it has taken a 14 percent stake in the company and that it is advocating changes to boost shareholder value.
Jana said in a regulatory filing late Friday that it holds 3.8 million shares of Outerwall, a company whose primary businesses are coin-counting machines and the Redbox DVD kiosks, and that it encourages management to cut costs, discontinue certain businesses or sell the entire operation in order to drive the stock higher.
Outerwall, which used to be called Coinstar, also recently added a new business called ecoATM, which consists of kiosks where consumers can buy mobile phones and other small technological gadgets.
Jana is a hedge fund run by activist investor Barry Rosenstein, who has stakes in Groupon, Office Depot and other companies he deems undervalued.
On Monday, a couple of analysts weighed in with nearly opposite opinions. Piper Jaffray reiterated its "overweight" rating and said the stock should trade in the low $70-range, while on Friday it closed at $57.10.
On the other hand, the firm Monness Crespi Hardt reiterated its "sell" rating on the stock and $30 price target, arguing that the DVD rental business is in "irreversible decline."
Outerwall said in a filing that it "welcomes the opinions of its shareholders and is always open to constructive input toward the goal of enhancing shareholder value."
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!