Reggae Producer Lloyd Charmers Dies at 74
The Jamaican artist was perhaps best known for producing the Ken Boothe hit “Everything I Own."
Reggae artist artist Lloyd Charmers has died. He was 74.
The singer and producer of British chart toppers died of a heart attack Dec. 27 in London, The Jamaican Observer reports. A friend of the musician, whose real name was Lloyd Terell, said Charmers sufferred the heart attack while driving and died before reaching the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Charmers was born in Trench Town, Jamaica and began making a name in the music industry during the early 1960s. He joined the Uniques, a trio also including Keith 'Slim' Smith and Jimmy Riley. The group’s hits for producer Bunny Lee included “Let Me Go Girl” and “Everybody Needs Love.” He also sang backup on the 1971 Winston 'Niney' Holness song “Blood and Fire,” which reached the British pop chart.
Charmers developed closer ties with the British music scene during the 1970s and began living there permanently in the latter part of the decade. In the early 1970s, he rose to prominence in the country by producing Ken Boothe's hit “Everything I Own."
Boothe described Charmers as "one of the best in the business" and said he was "very businesslike, very sophisticated.”
Charmers’ other notable producing credits include the well-received Dadawah Peace and Love Wadadasow album by Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)