R.E.M.'s Breakup: Reactions to the Split
The Georgia-based band has called it quits after 31 years. Comedians, directors, reporters and fans react.
R.E.M., the Athens, Georgia band founded in 1980 by singer Michael Stipe has called it quits. Fans and non-fans alike have opinions and jokes to share about the break-up and they're rushing to their keyboards to tweet them.
Here's a roundup of some of the cleverest and most heart-warming Tweets:
Comedian Patton Oswalt tweeted, "Maybe Stipe could open a grow-your-own vegetable lot that's only open after sundown. Not sure what he'd call it, though." Responses included "Twilight Plant Husbandry" and "Night Swimming."
Super writer-director James Gunn wrote, "Doing my best to mourn the REM breakup, even though I thought they broke up 15 years ago."
Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World and Shaun of the Dead director Edgar Wright got nostalgic, "Life's Rich Pageant, Document and Green were three albums that soundtracked my teens. So farewell REM."
Screenwriter Josh A. Cagan tweeted, "Between #REM and #NewFacebook, make sure you hug the nearest white person you see. It's a tough day for them."
Robert McCormick tweeted, "REM broke up??? What's next? Sting doing a Cadillac commercial??"
Self-professed X-Box lover Jamie Lynn O'Dell wrote, "Oh REM, you clever PR geniuses. I tip my hat to you. Early congrats to what will be your highest selling week ever on itunes."
Comic book writer Matt Fraction wrote, "REM breaks up and GAMES is published. it's like today happened 30 years ago on Earth 2."
Washington, D.C. writer Mark Trainer wrote, "In spite of snarky retweet, you'll find no hating on #REM here. Their glory days lasted much longer than many. I'll mourn with Reckoning."
New York Times contributor Heather Havrilesky wrote, "I didn't know supergroups like REM broke up anymore. I thought they just continued to tour until each member is replaced by a wax figure."
New York Times reporter Dave Itzkoff recalled the Emmys In Memoriam montage with his tweet: "So I have these Canadian tenors here, and they're willing to sing a Leonard Cohen song in honor of REM. Any suggestions?"
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama