Rep Sheet Roundup: 42West's Filmmaker Haul Includes David O. Russell, J.C. Chandor, Xavier Dolan and More
THR’s at-a-glance look at the week in representation news.
Who got signed, promoted, hired or fired? The Hollywood Reporter’s Rep Sheet rounds up the week in representation news. To submit announcements for consideration, contact [email protected]
Building a monopoly
Publicity firm 42West has landed a slew of top filmmakers:
• David O. Russell, now shooting biopic Joy starring muse Jennifer Lawrence, which could bring his sixth Oscar nomination since 2011
• J.C. Chandor, coming off the acclaimed A Most Violent Year, following All Is Lost the year before and his auspicious 2011 debut, Margin Call
• Xavier Dolan, the prodigy behind French-Canadian drama Mommy and now in pre-production on his first English-language film (sixth overall), The Death and Life of John F. Donovan, starring Kit Harington and Jessica Chastain
• James Ponsoldt, whose Sundance drama The End of the Tour (starring Jason Segel as David Foster Wallace) followed similarly well-received Park City entries The Spectacular Now and Smashed
• Screenwriter Etan Cohen, who makes his feature directorial debut with the Will Ferrell-Kevin Hart pre-prison comedy Get Hard this month
• Writer-director Peter Landesman, who will follow his previous true story tales Parkland and Kill the Messenger with Will Smith’s NFL Concussion drama this Christmas
• British scribe Steven Knight, who penned Brad Pitt’s upcoming untitled WWII romantic thriller and whose credits include Pawn Sacrifice, Locke (which he also directed) and Eastern Promises as well as creating the BBC Two period crime drama Peaky Blinders
• Italian director Luca Guadagnino, whose drama A Bigger Splash (starring Matthias Schoenaerts, Tilda Swinton, Ralph Fiennes and Dakota Johnson) was picked up by Fox Searchlight last month
• Shrek the Musical composer Jeanine Tesori
More useful than a mirrorball trophy
Model Charlotte McKinney has signed with UTA. The Guess lingerie model is currently best known for her racy Carl’s Jr. Super Bowl ad, but she’ll be seen next week as a contestant on season 20 of ABC’s Dancing With the Stars as well as a role in Joe Dirt 2: Beautiful Loser.
Now there’s a doctor in their houses
The Doctors recurring co-host Dr. Jennifer Berman has signed with Gersh and management company Armada Partners. Before joining the syndicated medical-themed talk show, the urologist hosted Discovery Health’s Berman & Berman with her sister, Dr. Laura Berman. Berman, who co-founded UCLA’s Female Sexual Medicine Center, is the co-author of For Women Only: A Revolutionary Guide to Overcoming Sexual Dysfunction and Reclaiming Your Sex Life, a New York Times best-seller, and Secrets of the Sexually Satisfied Woman: Ten Keys to Unlocking Ultimate Pleasure.
This time they’ve signed an actual cult
British hard rock band The Cult has signed with WME. The group behind “She Sells Sanctuary,” “Love Removal Machine” and “Fire Woman” will release its latest album in September in advance of a world tour.
Danish personality Casper Christensen has signed with ICM Partners. He was previously with CAA. Christensen co-wrote and starred in indie comedy Klown, which Danny McBride signed on to remake in the U.S. He recently completed principal photography on a Klown sequel and also co-wrote screenplay The Lesbian for Paramount, with Sacha Baron Cohen attached to star.
Publicity for Public Morals Player
Parenthood and 90210 alum Lyndon Smith has signed with PMK*BNC. The actress is a cast member on TNT’s upcoming Public Morals period cop drama and also has a role in Nicole Kidman and Julia Roberts’ The Secret in Their Eyes.
A couple of Relevant announcements
Relevant has promoted Los Angeles-based Grace Yi and New York-based Alex Kahn to junior publicist. Both have been with the PR firm since it was founded by principals Nicole Caruso, Evelyn Karamonos and Jessica Kolstad a year ago. Since then, Relevant’s client roster now includes Carey Mulligan, Bradley Cooper, Ruth Wilson, Mark Ruffalo, Channing Tatum, Dave Franco, Jamie Dornan and Steve Coogan.
Elsewhere in Rep World: