The Report: AMC Enters Reality
EXCLUSIVE: "Mad Men" joined by character-based unscripted fare, starting with L.A. boxer series.
After four years of award-winning dramas, AMC is expanding into unscripted programming. The Mad Men and Breaking Bad network is developing a docuseries about famed boxing trainer Freddie Roach set at his Wild Card Gym in Hollywood. Roach’s fighters have included Manny Pacquiao, Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr., as well as celebrities like Mickey Rourke.
The project features Roach’s work with boxers as he struggles to ward off the creeping symptoms of Parkinson's disease — an aliment possibly linked to his own days in the ring. If that story line sounds like it could be the plot of an AMC drama, that's the idea.
“We want to find great character-based stories in a verite fashion that have a similar narrative framework to a drama series,” says Joel Stillerman, AMC’s senior vp programming. “The shows are not about what they’re doing, they’re about who they are, and there’s a narrative framework around the concept as opposed to anecdotal storytelling.”
The boxing project’s producers include Friday Night Lights mastermind Peter Berg as executive producer, along with Sarah Aubrey, Jim Lampley and Michael Price. AMC has even listed a “showrunner” (Brian Hyland), a term generally used for the head writer-producer on a scripted project. AMC’s quest to add unscripted — it doesn’t use the term “reality” — began more than a year ago. Low-cost series could expand originals like The Walking Dead beyond Sundays and provide a safety net for drama misfires like the recently canceled Rubicon.
As FX, Showtime and HBO have discovered, the challenge is finding content that feels on-brand when paired with smart, grown-up dramas. Although Stillerman won’t rule out any project, AMC is steering for serious documentary topics, rather than competition series or bubbly fare. “I can safely say that something resembling Jersey Shore will not be on the network,” he says.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game