Report: More Than 35 Percent of Electric Cars Are Sold in California
Los Angeles and San Francisco lead the state in purchases, while abundant charging stations and tax credits are fueling sales of Tesla and Nissan all-electric models.
More than 35 percent of new electric cars cars sold in the U.S. are registered in Los Angeles and San Francisco, according to a report cited in the Detroit News.
Besides historically leading automotive trends, California is outfitted with 20 percent of the nation's 6,440 public charging stations, which is apparently quelling drivers' "range anxiety" and driving sales of pure electric cars such as Telsa's Model S and the Nissan Leaf.
The Model S appeals to Hollywood power players across the spectrum. Zooey Deschanel, Laurence Fishburn, Harry Hamlin and producer Jon Landau have been spotted driving the sports sedan, which recorded sales of more than 10,000 cars this year through July.
Nissan Leaf sales increased 230 percent to 11,703 cars during the same period, the newspaper reported.
California's mandate that 15 percent of auto sales must be zero emission vehicles by 2025, along with the state's legacy as an EV test market, also creates a favorable market for electric vehicles.
"Californians would buy the most electric cars even if the government didn't mandate automakers to sell a certain number every year," says Jalopnik editor in chief Matt Hardigree.
All-electric vehicles represent an infinitesimal--but growing--segment of the U.S. new car market.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Emmy Rossum & Zoey Deutch Celebrate with Jimmy Choo at their CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Zoe Saldana Is Pregnant with Fear in 'Rosemary's Baby' Trailer!
- Television Legend Valerie Harper 'Absolutely Cancer Free' After Battle with Terminal Brain Cancer
- Keri Russell's 'The Americans' Renewed for Third Season by FX!