The Report: Ricky Gervais — The Fallout
Globes host won’t be back; HFPA says he ‘crossed the line’; possible career boost.
Before hosting the 68th annual Golden Globe Awards on Jan. 16, Ricky Gervais vowed to come out “guns blazing, like it’s the end of the world.” He might get his wish, at least when it comes to hosting Hollywood awards shows. The British comedian’s ruthless skewering — he trashed Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie for The Tourist, introduced Bruce Willis as “Ashton Kutcher’s dad” and suggested that two prominent (though unnamed) Scientologists are gay — angered top talent and left the typically celebrity-friendly Hollywood Foreign Press Association feeling blindsided.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Jupiter Ascending' Trailer: Channing Tatum & Mila Kunis Made Sci-Fi For The Wachowskis
- 'Sleepy Hollow' News: Head Honcho On What's Next For Ichabod, Abbie And The Horseman
- Why I Made a Film Called Free the Nipple and Why I'm Being Censored in America
- Eleanor Parker Dead: 'Sound Of Music' Actress Dies At 91