Rex Reed Defends Melissa McCarthy Remarks: 'Don't Make Me the Villain'
The critic says the controversy surrounding his review of the No. 1 comedy was "what sold the tickets."
Rex Reed has two words to describe Identity Thief star Melissa McCarthy: "completely classy."
That magnanimous assessment stands in stark contrast to the New York Observer film critic's mean-spirited pan of McCarthy's new comedy, in which he called the actress "tractor-sized" and a "female hippo," among other insults.
In his first time speaking out on the incident, Reed refused to back down from his choice of words but said McCarthy "has remained completely silent [on the controversy], and I think that's completely classy."
Talking on Monday to WOR-AM New York, Reed theorized that the outrage actually was orchestrated by "the big publicity machine called Universal Pictures" that mobilized people to attack him in their "desire to sell tickets to a bad movie."
Reed took credit, too, for Identity Thief's stellar opening-weekend take of $36.6 million, saying the controversy was "what sold the tickets."
Addressing the name-calling, Reed told host Mark Simone: “I object to using health issues like obesity as comedy talking points. That’s what this girl does, this Melissa Manchester," he said, confusing McCarthy's name with that of the "Don't Cry Out Loud" singer.
"I have too many friends that have died of obesity-related illnesses, heart problems and diabetes. … I have helped people try to lose weight, and I don't find this to be the subject of a lot of humor," Reed said.
Responding directly to his critics, of which there are many -- including Bridesmaids director Paul Feig, who invited Reed "to go f--- himself," and Modern Family's Eric Stonestreet, who tweeted, "Turns out Rex Reed didn't die sad and alone 10 years ago" -- Reed responded, "Don't make me a villain."
He added, "She is crying all the way to the bank!"
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)