Rick Santorum "Sickened" by Josh Duggar Allegations

Rick Santorum

"I pray for those girls in particular — to have gone through that is just hard to think about," Santorum said.

Rick Santorum says the controversy surrounding Josh Duggar and the 19 Kids and Counting family has left him feeling ill.

"I was sickened by it," the Republican presidential candidate told ABC News in an interview that aired Wednesday, following the allegations that Duggar molested five girls, including his sisters, when he was 14.

"I pray for those girls in particular," Santorum said. "To have gone through that is just hard to think about."

The Duggars, who supported Santorum during his 2012 presidential campaign, have switched their support this cycle to fellow Republican candidate Mike Huckabee, who strongly defended Duggar last week against the "blood-thirsty media."

"No purpose whatsoever is served by those who are now trying to discredit Josh or his family by sensationalizing the story," Huckabee said. "Good people make mistakes and do regrettable and even disgusting things."

In the wake of the allegations, contained in a 2006 police report that surfaced last week, TLC has yanked the long-running reality program from its schedule. Advertisers have followed suit, pulling out from future episodes.

Duggar has since apologized for his actions, releasing a statement saying he "acted inexcusably."

Watch Santorum's comments in the video below.

comments powered by Disqus