Ricky Gervais Pays Tribute to Christopher Hitchens on Twitter
The Golden Globes troublemaker calls the late TV pundit a "brave man and a hero of mine."
Ricky Gervais took to Twitter on Friday following the death of his friend and fellow troublemaker, Christopher Hitchens.
"RIP Christopher Hitchens," wrote Gervais of the TV pundit and author. "The most honest and outspoken, bullshit-free thinker of our time. A brave man and a hero of mine." Added the comedian: "Just been reading through all my emails to and from Christopher H. (that's how he signed off) Had to stop as it was making me too sad."
No stranger to controversy himself, Gervais incited fury this week for echoing a Hitchensian stance on religion on the social-networking site. "I don't believe in ANY god because it's Irrational, without basis and mental. But it is EVERYONE'S right to believe what they want. End of," he explained to readers, sparking online debate.
Gervais is poised to push more buttons as host of the Golden Globe Awards on Jan. 11.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama