'Riddick' heats up European Film Market
Third film in sci-fi series was one of most sought-after at EFM
BERLIN -- "Riddick," the third entry in the sci-fi series that began with 2000's Vin Diesel starrer "Pitch Black" and one of the most sought-after titles at EFM, has been picked by Central Partnership for Russia.
Lionsgate is handling international sales, and the asking price for Russia was $2.2 million. But reflecting how in demand the title is and a reawakening of the presales market, a bidding war erupted among Russia's major distributors, with the final price going above $2.5 million.
The project was unveiled to buyers at a nighttime presentation Saturday with Diesel present.
While some buyers have noted the prices for "Riddick" are high, it feels tailor-made for the Russian market, which is big on high-flying action and sci-fi epics.
"Riddick" delivers on both counts. Though billed as a back-to-basics approach to the character popularized by Diesel, the script features the character -- the most wanted man in the galaxy -- left for dead on a barren alien planet, dealing with "trisons" (three-legged bisons) and "mud demons." He must then contend with two squads of bounty hunters, one of which ride rockets called jetcycles.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Will Hillary & Bill Clinton's Daughter Chelsea Be Running for Office?
- Zac Efron Gives a Lap Dance, Admits to 'Plowing' Lots of Chicks in Comedy Central Funny Video - Watch Now!
- Miley Cyrus Will 'Remain Hospitalized' After 'Extreme' Reaction to Sinus Infection Antibiotics
- Taylor Swift Steps Out for Ingrid Michaelson Concert in Brooklyn!