Rihanna, Taylor Swift Rule MTV EMA Nominations List
Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, Lana Del Rey and newcomers Carly Rae Jepsen and fun also hit the list.
LONDON -- Rihanna leads the nominations list for this year's MTV EMAs with six, just one more than Taylor Swift who has five.
The music awards, scheduled to be held in Frankfurt, Germany Nov. 11. also sees Justin Bieber and Katy Perry notching up four nominations apiece while Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, Lana Del Rey and newcomers Carly Rae Jepsen and fun., pick up three nominations each.
Rihanna and Swift will both compete for the best female and best pop titles, and will also vie against other well-known trend-setters in the brand new best look category.
The fresh nod aims to highlight the most "unique and eye-catching personal styles" emanating from the music world.
Rihanna is also up for best song and best video for We Found Love and will try to win the evening's biggest fans nod.
Swift secured nominations for best live and best world stage awards.
After his wins last year for best male and best pop, Bieber could repeat the feat this year in the same categories while he also landed nominations for best world stage and biggest fans.
Two-time EMA host Perry will battle for best female, best pop, best video for Wide Awake and biggest fans.
Also, reflecting a resurgence in electronic music, MTV is reintroducing the best electronic category to honor the biggest names in that genre.
Other notable EMA nominees include Jay Z and Kanye West, who are each up for three EMA nominations, while Green Day, Gotye, Pitbull, Rita Ora, Flo Rida, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Jack White and One Direction are up for two awards.
MTV will announce EMA performers and presenters closer to the event.
And for the second year in a row, MTV is inviting fans everywhere to have a say in which artist deserves the biggest fans award. Since August 30, viewers have been voting for their favorite EMA artists from a pool of 20 acts; their votes have helped narrow down the field to the five official nominees.
Also returning this year is the worldwide act category, which celebrates the range and breadth of all the music that MTV has to offer by showcasing incredible artists from all parts of the world. Fans will be able to vote for an artist/group from their respective territory starting Sept. 17.
The 19th annual MTV EMA will broadcast live from Frankfurt’s Festhalle on MTV channels around the world at 9 p.m. central European time.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zosia Mamet Attends 'Hand To God' Opening Night with Boyfriend Evan Jonigkeit!
- Rita Ora Rocks Sexy Pink Bodysuit for L.A. Music Video Shoot!
- Shirtless Josh Henderson's Six Pack is Unreal in Op's Latest Campaign with Bikini-Clad Nina Agdal!
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!