Home Where Ringo Starr Lived as a Baby Saved From Demolition After Fan Protest
The Liverpool home where Ringo Starr lived as a baby has been spared from demolition after a fan protest, despite the fact that the former Beatle lived there only briefly while he was an infant.
U.K. Housing Minister Grant Shapps said Thursday that the property -- described by Britain's Telegraph as a "dilapidated three-bedroomed Victorian terrace" -- not only will be saved but that £14 million ($21.8 million) in funding has been earmarked to save other homes in the area, ensuring that the "streets Ringo Starr grew up on will be preserved for years to come."
Starr -- real name Richard Starkey -- was born in the home July 7, 1940, but his family moved elsewhere when he was a baby. The property, located in the Dingle area of Liverpool, is one of more than 400 homes that had been targeted for demolition since 2005.
"Ringo Starr’s home is a significant beacon of Beatlemania, a bricks-and-mortar reminder of a hugely important influence on British music," Shapps said Thursday, as quoted by the Telegraph. "But it’s also a lot more than that -- a real example of communities having the power and voice to step in a save the places they treasure most."
Britain's National Trust had previously said the property wasn't worth saving since Starr had lived there for only three months. The trust runs the childhood homes of fellow Beatles John Lennon and Paul McCartney, also in Liverpool.
“Unlike John Lennon and Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo resided at Madryn Street for a very brief period, early on in his life," a spokesman for the trust said last month. “History tells us that the Beatles lived in more than a dozen houses during their collective childhoods, and it would not be realistic for the trust to try and acquire all of these buildings."