Rinko Kikuchi to star in 'Map'
Drama thriller written, directed by Isabel Coixet
NEW YORK -- Two years after "Babel" put her on the Hollywood map, Rinko Kikuchi soon could have a map of her own.
The Oscar nominee is in talks to star in "Map of the Sounds of Tokyo," a dual-identity drama written and directed by Isabel Coixet.
Spanish shingle Mediapro is producing the film, a Japanese-set dramatic thriller that centers on a fish-market employee who doubles as a contract killer.
Coixet, a Spanish director known for her weighty dramas, directed the specialty release "Elegy," the Ben Kingsley-Penelope Cruz academia romance which sported a $17,000 per-screen average in limited release this weekend.
The CAA-repped Kikuchi has undertaken a number of supporting roles since being nominated for "Babel." She has parts in Rian Johnson's con-man movie "The Brothers Bloom," which Summit is releasing in the fall, and the Weinstein Co.'s wartime romance "Shanghai."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR