'Rio' to Hit $350 Million Overseas
Fox toon will triple U.S. haul -- with Brazil the biggest country.
Thor and Fast Five might be generating the biggest headlines, but Fox's Rio is nesting with equal gusto at the international box office. It now ranks as the second-most-successful spring toon of all time after Ice Age: The Meltdown, which cumed $460.1 million overseas. Rio, with a total of $292 million, is headed toward a projected $350 million haul and has already outgrossed last spring's How to Train Your Dragon, which earned $277.3 million offshore. Rio is doing almost triple the business overseas that it's doing domestically. The biggest territory is Brazil -- not a surprise, given the film's setting -- where Rio has taken in a stunning $38.4 million, followed by Mexico ($25.2 million) and Russia ($24 million). It's no slouch in China or France, either, grossing $20.2 million and $19 million, respectively.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game