‘Rio’ and ‘Scream 4’ in Box Office Battle
3:26 PM PDT 4/15/2011 by THR staff
Rio and the fourth installment of Wes Craven’s Scream are competing at the box office this weekend. Which will win?Tracking suggests Fox’s 3D toon will top the weekend, although the studio has cautioned that Universal holdover Hop could take a bite out of its grosses. Fox expects Rio, opening in 3,826 runs, to earn near $30 million in its opening weekend, while tracking suggests it will do more. It also is poised to do strong midweek business next week, with kids being out of school for spring break. Last weekend, the toon stormed the international box office, grossing $55 million, the best opening of any film this year, anywhere. Related photos: Scream stars, then and now As for Wes Craven’s latest chiller, from Bob Weinstein’s Dimension, it is sparking strong interest among old — and new — fans and should gross in the mid-$20 million range, if tracking services are correct. The film heads out in 3,305 locations. Stars David Arquette, Neve Campbell and Courteney Cox return, while joining the series as a way to draw younger moviegoers are Emma Roberts and Hayden Panettiere. There’s been a heavy public relations blitz for the film, with cast members making key television appearances. If it performs as expected, Scream 4 will mark another victory for Bob and Harvey Weinstein’s revitalized Weinstein Co.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Third Person' Trailer Shows Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Liam Neeson Feeling Everything
- AMC's Hit Reality Show 'Small Town Security' Is Back For Season 3
- Bride Gives Groom 'Ghostbusters' Cake, Proves That She's A Keeper
- Ted Neeley, Original 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Hopes Pope Francis Will Come To The Musical